Start Date: September 1, 2018
Reports to: Executive Director
Positions reporting to this Position: Civic Engagement Director, Advocacy Manager, Government Relations Manager, Communications Manager
The Virginia League of Conservation Voters (Virginia LCV) works to turn conservation and environmental values into state and local priorities. Virginia LCV advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and strives to elect a majority of state legislators who will champion our priority issues.
Virginia LCV’s work to protect and advocate for conservation and the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. We aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
Virginia LCV is looking to hire a Deputy Director who will be responsible for the strategic development of Virginia LCV’s campaigns and programs, and the management of the organization’s program and campaign staff. The successful Deputy Director manages up, helps staff develop and implement clear, actionable and strategic work plans; is comfortable representing Virginia LCV to donors, legislators and other elected officials, the public, media, coalition partners; and juggles well staff management, programmatic obligations, external and internal communications, and administrative duties.
An ideal candidate will have a strong interest in electoral politics, conservation policy, and public opinion; is skilled in working independently as well as part of a team; has strong managerial skills; and, is able to demonstrate initiative, professionalism and attention to detail. This position works closely with and reports to the Executive Director.
- Develop and implement Virginia LCV’s strategic advocacy campaigns
- Manage Virginia LCV’s programs and campaigns, and related staff
- Oversee and ensure appropriate coordination of Virginia LCV’s Advocacy, Civic Engagement, Mobilization, Government Relations, and Communications efforts
- Lead the effort to develop policies that can be part of the Virginia LCV’s advocacy package
- Represent VaLCV to the broader conservation community, elected officials and staff, the media, and other coalition partners
- Assist the Executive Director and Development Director in foundation and major donor fundraising
- Additional administrative, operational, and programmatic duties as determined by the Executive Director
- Commitment to the vision and mission of Virginia LCV
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred
- 3-5 years of relevant experience working on conservation/environmental policy or campaigns, or other related professional work
- 2-3 years of managerial experience, preferably multi-staff management experience
- Fundraising experience preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of how to develop and implement effective public policy
- Able to multi-task, and work across departments to achieve shared goals
- Thrives in a fast-paced campaign environment
- Enjoys interacting with elected officials and has a professional demeanor
- Must be able to think strategically and work tactically
- Full time
- Salary starts at $60,000 with benefits, commensurate with experience
- Position Located in Richmond, Virginia
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Deputy Director” in the subject line no later than August 15, 2018. No phone calls please.
Virginia LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace.