Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Deputy Director
Positions reporting to this Position: None
The Virginia League of Conservation Voters (Virginia LCV) works to turn conservation and environmental values into state and local priorities. Virginia LCV advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and strives to elect a majority of state legislators who will champion our priority issues.
Virginia LCV’s work to protect and advocate for conservation and the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. We aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
Virginia LCV is looking to hire a Government Relations Manager who leads the policy development and legislative advocacy of the organization. The successful Government Relations Manager will spearhead the Virginia LCV Environmental Scorecard, maintain strong relationships with key legislative offices, effectively represent Virginia LCV at coalition and general assembly briefings and meetings, submerse themselves in environmental and conservation policy, and enjoy attending key political, electoral, legislative and coalition events.
An ideal candidate has a strong interest in electoral politics, conservation policy, and public opinion; is skilled in working independently as well as part of a team; and is able to demonstrate initiative, professionalism and attention to detail. The Government Relations Manager is excellent at verbal and written communication, and has strong skills in communicating about political and conservation issues.
- Conduct research projects on vote history, policy positions of the General Assembly and the administration, and issues as assigned
- Drive the development and production of the Virginia LCV Environmental Scorecard and manage the recent votes section of the online scorecard
- Schedule and attend General Assembly and Administration meetings
- Conduct outreach to and build relationships with legislative offices ahead of key votes
- Responsible for Bill tracking and pre-vote position memo distribution
- Coordinate logistics of Virginia LCV’s Legislative retreats (2 annually)
- Act as lead advocate on Virginia LCV’s priority issues
- Participate in and represent Virginia LCV in the broader conservation and progressive community
- Facilitate Virginia LCV’s endorsement Process; including questionnaire and interview process
- Represent Virginia LCV at key PAC events
- Serve as Lobby and Policy point as part of the Virginia LCV Campaigns Team
- Recruit and manage interns
- Compile and submit annual lobby reports and lobbyist registration
- Other duties as assigned
- Commitment to the vision and mission of Virginia LCV
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field preferred
- 1-3 years of relevant experience in government affairs preferred
- Knowledge of conservation and environmental policy preferred
- Experience with campaign finance and lobbyist disclosure laws and regulations preferred
- Able to multi-task, and work across departments to achieve shared goals
- Thrives in a fast-paced campaign environment
- Enjoys interacting with elected officials and has a professional demeanor
- Must be able to think strategically and work tactically
- Full time
- Salary starts at $40,000 with benefits, commensurate with experience
- Position Located in Richmond, Virginia
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. with “Government Relations” in the subject line no later than August 3, 2018. No phone calls please.
Virginia LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace.